If you are tired of your everyday boring green vegetables and pulses you can try this interesting recipe of mashed potatoes. Potatoes can be considered as a healthy vegetable as studies have suggested that increase in consumption of plant foods like potatoes promotes a healthy complexion, increased energy and decreases the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Often potatoes are eaten in the form of fries or fried chips which lead to obesity and high cholesterol but when potatoes combined with the right ingredients can be considered as healthy as potatoes contain a variety of phytonutrients that have antioxidant activity. This delicious dish known as mashed potatoes can be made in 35 min by following the given steps
- Assemble all the ingredients
Ingredients needed to make mashed potatoes are 8-10 potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into quarters, ½ teaspoon salt, 4 tablespoons heavy cream, 2 tablespoon butter, I tablespoon or more milk , salt and pepper.
- Place the peeled potatoes in water
Place the peeled and cut potatoes into a saucepan and add cold water to the pan until the potatoes are covered by at least an inch. Add half a spoon of salt to the water and place the pan on the stove. Boil it for 15-20 minutes, or until you can easily poke through them with a fork.
- Melt butter and warm cream
You can melt the butter and warm the cream by the time potatoes are being boiled. You can use a microwave or stove to heat them together.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and mash
When the potatoes become soft, drain the water and place the steaming hot potatoes in a bowl. Pour the heated cream and melted butter over the cooked potatoes. Mash the potatoes with a masher or a strong wooden (or a metal) spoon.
- Add milk
After mashing the potatoes add milk and beat until the mashed potatoes are smooth. Do not over beat the potatoes as overbeating will make potatoes gluey
- Add pepper and salt
You can add pepper, salt, and other spices according to your taste.
Your mashed potatoes are ready to serve. It is a very easy recipe to make delicious, mouth-watering mashed potatoes which are usually loved by everyone be it elderly or children as Food without using potatoes is incomplete.
Things to be taken care of while making mashed potatoes:
- Use the right type of potatoes with high starch content like Russets or Yukon Golds.
- Start with cold water. Placing the potatoes in the hot water in the beginning itself increases chances of uneven cooking.
- Do not add cold butter and cream to the potatoes. First, heat the butter and cream and then add the mixture to the potatoes.
- Do not overwork the potatoes: When potatoes are mashed they release starch. The more you work the potatoes the more starch is released. When too much starch is released it makes the potatoes gummy, gluey and unappetizing.